I think it’s easy to be intimidated by the almighty oyster… It’s not just you, I used to feel the same way. Once you connect with this robust, flavorful morsel, there’s no going back!
These gangsters of the sea, as I lovingly refer to them, come in all shapes and sizes. It really depends on the way they have been cultured. One of my favorites, believe it or not, is the larger oyster. Yes, I said it here. The larger oyster can very understandably, be intimidating to some. Heck, they can be intimidating to all! But do not fear — you got this! You simply must give these bad boys a try.
Here’s my favorite way to cook them up!
- If you find they need a bit of maintenance, scrub them off with a brush, NO SOAP!
- Gently shuck and open, saving the top shell (to place back on while grilling)
- Very important, do not spill or pour off the liquor! (The residual liquid in the oyster, once it is open, is referred to as “liquor”)
- Place carefully on the grill or on a baking sheet, for just a few minutes! Get them steaming but DO NOT OVERCOOK! Otherwise, they will become chewy.
- With a pair of tongs lift the top shell off, add butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute max! The heat will melt the butter and cheese.
- You can add parsley if you like.
There are numerous variations of this recipe, one variation includes adding a little bourbon and another, for you heat loving folk, is to add jalapeño pepper! Enjoy away my friends!
See you next time, on The Spin!